Janmashtami 2016 why do we celebrate?
Janmashtami, the birthday of Lord Krishna is celebrated with great devotion and enthusiasm in India in the month of July or August. According to the Hindu calendar this religious festival is celebrated on the Ashtami of Krishna Paksh or the 8th day of the dark fortnight in the month of Bhadon.
Janmashtami Images 2016
Indians keep celebrating festivals throughout the year. Each festival has its own unique way of celebration and thus adds to the excitement.
The festival of Krishna Janmastami also known as Srikrishna Jayanti, Gokulaashtami, “Krishnaashtami and Sree Jayanti is celebrated in August. It is a Hindu festival primarily celebrated in western and northern India.
Krishna Janmastami is a festival meant to celebrate the birth of the Hindu mythological God, Lord Krishna, who is a symbol of youth and romance in the Hindu religion.
Happy Janmashtami quotes
Lord Krishna, according to the legend in Mahabharata, used to steal curd, milk and butter from the village houses. This was done by forming pyramids with his gang of boys in order to reach the pot of curd, milk, or butter, hanging high on a rope.
It is because of this reason, that even now Janmaashtemi is celebrated by breaking pots that are hung very high on the ropes (about 30-60 feet high), in a similar way. There is butter in the pot and the boy climbing up the human pyramid is supposed to ‘steal’ it. There is much excitement and commotion as the small boys go on trying to reach it. Amid much fanfare he does manage it in the end.
The entire activity is witnessed by the whole community, which comes out on the streets. The atmosphere is fun filled and there are pranks played everywhere, it is somewhat like the carnivals of the west. There are prizes running into lakhs for the ‘butter stealer’ and he becomes the local hero, till next year when someone else may upstage him.
Krishna Janmashtami Wallpapers
People keep a fast on this day and at midnight when Lord Krishna was supposed to be born; there are special prayers and offerings. After the prayers, people break their fast and there is a feast. Many types of delicacies are prepared for the occasion, but butter is compared the most important dish because the lord loved to have fresh butter.
In many homes and temples ‘jhakis’ are set up. Small toy like figurines are brought from the market and are arranged artistically depicting the entire life history of the Lord. There are swings installed for the Lord and his idol is placed on it and gently swung.
All this is enacted in the faith that when lord Krishna was a boy he was the naughtiest one around and when he became young he was the most romantic man possible. Later, in his more mature span of life he performed the duties of a family man and a competent king. Lord Krishna is the personification of all the perfect stages of a man’s life!
Happy Janmashtami quotes
- May Lord Krishna steal all your tensions and worries on this Janmashtmi! And give you all the love, peace and happiness.
Happy Krishna Janmashtmi!
- May the Natkhat Nand Lal always give you many reasons to be happy, healthy & prosperous; and may you find peace in Krishna consciousness.
- May lord Krishna show you the way in your life as He showed the way to Arjuna in the battle of Mahabharata at Kurukshetra.
- Whatever belongs to you today, belonged to someone else yesterday; and it will belong to some one else tomorrow.
- Don’t be illusioned by maya. Maya is the root cause of all pain and misery.
- For this, is a special time when familyAnd friends get together,for fun.Wishing laughter and fun to cheer your days, in this festive season of JANMASHTMI and always. Happy JANMASHTMI Jay Shri Krishna…